ShikakaiA Natural Shampoo & Hair Conditioner
Shikakai (Acacia concinna) is a herb of the ages. Its fruits are very well known for use as natural hair shampoo.For medicinal purpose its leaves and fruits are used. Its dried pods are powdered to produce Shikakai powder. Shikakai is a commonly used herb that has many remedial qualities. It is popularly referred as fruit for the hair.An extract of the Shikakai शिकाकाई leaves is used to cure malaria fever.
Shikakai शिकाकाई is a prickly, scandent shrub, growing in tropical jungles shrub throughout India, particularly in Deccan. The scientific name/Latin name of shikakai is Acacia concinna. It belongs to the Leguminosae family. The leaves of this woody plant are bipinnate. It has yellow flowers with anxillary heads. The pods are brown, wrinkled and notched when dry. There are 6 to 10 seeds in a pod usually. These days it is commercially cultivated in India and Far East Asia
Shikakai natural shampoo is natural herb which is low in Ph. Actually the bark of Shikakai शिकाकाई is high on saponins – chemical compound; these act as foaming agents. Therefore Shikakai is such a good cleaning agent and hence has been traditionally used as a detergent. Owing to the presence of this chemical compound Shikakai is used in Bengal for poisoning fish and are documented to be potent marine toxins.An Extracts of the ground pods have been used for various skin diseases and extract of the Shikakai natural shampoo leaves is used to cure malarial fever.
Shikakai is also used as a medicine and conditioner for hair and scalp treatment. In order to improve effect from shikakai you can combine it with henna, reetha and amla and only then apply it on hair. This blend is extremely nutritious and helps to avoid appearance of dandruff, improves hair texture. It is so useful because doesn`t contain any chemical elements. Sometimes extract from shikakai शिकाकाई pods is even used in treatment of various skin problems. Many cosmetic companies use this natural herb in order to prepare anti-dandruff products.
In summer our skin and hair should be especially moisturized. Shikakai शिकाकाई helps to moisturize hair and scalp and cool it while it hot. It is also very effective as prevention from graying. You should combine amla and henna powder with sikakai शिकाकाई and apply it on your hair two hours before you are going to rinse the hair. It acts much better then artificial hair-dye
Shikakai crust consists of saponin which is believed to have a spermicidal effect on human sperm. So it is perfect for contraception because it is natural and doesn`t contain any chemical ingredients and doesn’t influence your hormonal balance.
How to use Shikakai natural shampoo on skin: You can use shikakai to treat skin ailments like scabies. To reap maximum benefits, you can make an antiseptic body wash using shikakai and turmeric. Soak raw turmeric in hot water and then grind it to make a paste. Burn shikakai pods till they turn black, grind them to form powder. Mix the turmeric paste and shikakai powder with milk. Strain and use as a body wash.
Different names of Shikakai
Botanical name: Acacia sinuata (Lour.)
Sanskrit: Bahuphenarasa, Bhuriphena, Carmasava, Charmakansa, Charmakasa, Phenila, Saptala
Assamese: Amsikira, Kachuai, Pasoi Tenga, Sous lewa
Bengali: Ban ritha, Ritha (ri? Ha), Riitha (r ?? ha)
English: Shikakai (India), Soap pod, Soap pod wattle, Soap acacia, Soap-nut acacia.
Hindi: Hikakai, Kochi, Righa, Ritha (Reetha), Saatalaa, Shika, Shikakai.
Malayalam: Carmalanta, Carmalantala, Chikaka, Chinikka, Cikkakka, Cinikka, Civikka
Tamil: Cikkay, Ciyakkay, Shika, Shikakai, Shikai (Sheekay), Shikaikkay
Telugu: Chikaya (Cheekaya), Gogu, Shiikaya, Siikaya
Burmese: Hpak-Hey-Hkawn, Kin-mun, Kinmun-gyin
Chinese: Rou guo jin he huan, Xiao he huan (Hong Kong)
French: Chikakai, Piquant sappan, Sappan
Japanese: Akashia konshina
Thai: Sohm bpaawy, Shan
Benefits of Shikakai
- Gives you stronger, thicker hair : Shikakai strengthens hair roots. The result is stronger and healthier hair, with lesser hair fall.
- Fights dandruff : The anti-fungal properties of shikakai nourish your scalp and prevent itching and dryness. Used regularly, shikakai can cure dandruff
- Adds shine and softness : The natural ingredients of shikakai make your hair softer and add a beautiful shine to it.
- Removes hair lice : We’re not saying you have any, but in the eventuality your children pick any at school, using shikakai natural shampoo can actually halt the growth and eliminate them altogether.
- Delays grey hair : Shikakai can actually slow down and delay the appearance of grey hair, letting you retain the natural youthfulness of your hair for long.
- Prevents a dry scalp : Shikakai works its magic on a dry scalp by acting as a natural cleanser without washing away essential oils.
- Heals minor wounds : Shikakai is calm and soothing on an irritated head and can actually heal minor cuts and abrasions on your scalp.
- Soothes your head : A shikakai hair pack can offer relief on a hot day, relieve a headache or simply act like a soothing hair pack.
- Gently detangles hair : If you have curly hair, shikakai is a great way to detangle your locks after a shampoo. Gently run your fingers through your hair while rinsing.
- It is cheaper and better : Shikakai is a much cheaper and more natural alternative to chemical-laden shampoos.
Shikakai Medicinal benefits and how to use it
- Constipation: Take a fruit of Soap pod. Deseed it and soak in water for an hour. Filter and drink.
- Jaundice: Wash and clean fresh tender leaves of Soap pod tree. Make a chutney by grinding these leaves (1 tbsp) with kali mirch (3), tamarind pulp and salt as per taste. Eat twice a day with rice.
- Skin disorders, itching, and psoriasis, pimples: Boil Shikakai powder (1 tbsp) in water (1 cup). Cook for few minutes and apply on affected areas.
- Hyperpigmentation: Prepare paste of its powder by adding water and apply on affected parts.
- Bad breath & Gum infection: Prepare gargling solution by boiling Shikakai powder (1 tbsp) in water (300 ml). Gargle with this solution frequently.
- Dandruff: Boil Shikakai powder in water. Cook for ten minutes and use this for washing hairs.